That being said, the Tigers are my least favorite. Maybe it was because everyone else loved them. Maybe it was the reputation of the unbeatable king of the battlefield and I'm more of a underdog type of guy. Either way, I've always preferred a Pv III or Pz IV to the Tigers.
So how is it I ended up painting one as my latest project? It's all the fault of Band of Brothers.
I consider myself a scenario gamer and not a points-based army guy. I'm more of a 'love of the game' player where winning is secondary to recreating a nice fight and having a good time. I'm fortunate that I play with a group of guys who are ok with that.
So while watching Band of Brothers one day I was confronted with a scene that struck me as a fun fight to recreate. It is the approach to Nuenen scene in the "Replacements" episode. The Airborne guys spot a big cat in ambush which leads to a pretty ridiculous exchange with the platoon of Shermans and Cromwells that are supporting them (although one that is believable to any veteran) and a helluva fight begins.
I watched the scene over and over trying to come up with an Order of Battle. I did some research (i.e. Google) and even found a TMP article where other like-minded folks discussed the same idea. And thus we have the third vehicle (first German) painted for the fight. I give you the Big Cat:
She's not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with her. The dark mud on the tracks turned out just about right. The dried, light mud on the fenders isn't quite where I want it. I used a new product (Vallejo Thick Mud 73.810 Light Brown Mud) and I've got to get a better feel of it. No worries, it'll come off easy enough. I also normally dust my vehicles with a very light coat of Vallejo 70.976 Buff to give a dusty appearance but I skipped it this time since I went so light with the base.
I probably could have color corrected the shots a little. She's not quite as blue and she seems here.
With that I'll put her to bed. Tonight I cleaned and primed Prussian reserve infantry and Landwehr cavalry. Time to get back to the 19th century.




No comments:
Post a Comment