Currently working on the guns for my Prussian corps. I've had them in the lead pile and was painting them up a battery at a time as I finished a brigade. In January, the Miniature Modelling Mayhem Facebook group hosted a Gunuary project. Seemed like the perfect time to complete all of the guns I have remaining to paint and to get out of the Holiday Hobby Funk which had set in pretty hard for me. November and December were spectacularly busy there was no time for the hobby.
This is where it all starts. It's mildly upsetting to know this is as good as they'll look and it's only downhill from here. What did they ever do to deserve this?
I have 11 guns in total to paint with 22 crew. I decided this was a good opportunity to get some airbrush efficiency involved. Shoot, I have an entire month. As quickly as this is going to go, I may need to buy more models.
I've also struggled with finding a good blue for the Prussian guns so I grabbed Vallejo Model Air 71.113 IDF Blue. It seemed to have just enough gray for my tastes. Easy peasy, the guns are base coated.
Slap on some black paint for the metal parts of the carriage, a very light wash and assembly and there we have it... half way done. A quick look at the calendar shows Jan 21. Wait, what? How did something so simple and effortless take three-quarters of my allotted time to complete? I really should pay more attention. (the two flocked bases in the front are the existing batteries in the corps. the two painted bases were crew painted earlier with freshly painted guns.)
I'd better get busy. Slap a few basecoats on these guys and try to make some progress.
It's a work in progress but it's still progress. I'm not happy with the blue for certain. Even having to go light to account for the scale, I still feel it's not rich enough. I've also opted for a different red on the turnbacks, going lighter than my usual VMC Carmine Red. (boy, the camera is not kind.)
I've actually finished the gunners and am working on the basing. Gunuary should be complete before it turns into May.
Another minor conquest...







No comments:
Post a Comment